Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Art in the Family

Mother-in-laws get a bad wrap -- don't they?  There are sit coms written about them (picture "Everyone Loves Raymond"), there are cartoons drawn about them and songs sung about them (think Huey Lewis and the News).  Yet, the ironic thing is that these are the women that first loved our wonderful men.  So, when people ask me what prompted my dive into Interior Design, they are often shocked to discover that it is actually Diane Banks, my ever-energetic mother-in-law that provided my inspiration for this journey.  


Don't get me wrong...Both of my parents are incredible and I simply adore them.  Dad is an independent business owner and currently working on building his own boat.  Mom is a yummy baker and has made every one of my siblings at least one spectacular quilt.  Together, they have taught me practically everything I know about hard work, integrity and shooting for the stars.  But love of the arts and appreciation would come from Diane. My super mother-in-law, Diane Banks, is not only creative but also and she all teaches at James Madison University in Virginia.  This in and of itself is an accomplishment but what ranks right up there for me is the awesome analytical, financially savvy son that she raised also.  


My mother-in-law, Diane and her mother (also a fabulous painter)- still painting in her 90s!


Currently, Diane's works are on exhibit at the Textile Museum in Washington DC.  She is participating in an event called "Green the color and the cause".  This exhibit celebrates environmentalism by showcasing artists with works in such categories as: Color, Nature, Global Choice Interconnectedness, Repurposing, Sustainability and Adaptation.  Diane utilized paper, glue, wire, ink, thread and found plastic to create art out of everyday garbage.  What does it symbolize?  Nature's ability to absorb man's impact by adapting to survive and endure against great odds.


Several of her works in the exhibit




Along the many other exhibits, Diane also has two key pieces at the Smithsonian American Art Museum.  Impressive from an artist standpoint, I am just amazed at her creativity and focus. 




This is a piece entitled "Blue Cone" was completed in 1997.  Constructed of wood, glue, paint and ink it was a gift to the Smithsonian American Art Museum in honor of her son (my hubbie).










Also made of the same materials, this one is called "Red Cone" and was completed in 1996.  Gifted to the Smithsonian American Art Institute, this piece was given in honor of her daughter, Sarah.






As you can imagine, Diane is like any other passionate artist - prolific with her creations.  Since I am never one to turn down a beautiful unique hand-made piece, the Moss family has amassed quite a collection over the years.  I finally decided to dedicate a wall in our home to Diane's work and it proves to be a great draw for our friends. 


  Diane showcased in our home




She created this for us in our wedding day -- made entirely of toothpicks and eggshells.  Brilliant!


Although this is just a smattering of Diane's ability, she is far from through with her artistic journey.  With more ideas generating in her head and coming out of her hands, Diane proves that you can combine your passion and your career into one incredible package.  I hope that Diane will be of some inspiration to you as well, faithful readers!  If you find yourself in need of a bit of inspiration for your home or office, please feel free to contact me and I can connect you to her gallery.  In the meantime, look out for her works to show up in a future client installation.  


Off to create,


C

No comments:

Post a Comment